I was kindly tagged for this by Ashwini; thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
Obviously there will be spoilers galore coming up, so if that sort of thing bothers you, please tread with care.
1. NOPE Ending: A book ending that made you go NOPE either in denial, rage, or simply because the ending was crappy.
The first book that comes to mind is My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I was already not loving the book when the ending happened and it just made me angry. It felt emotionally manipulative and I just cannot get on board with it (and will probably never read another of her books).
2. NOPE Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy.
I really did not like Sarah Schmidt’s See What I Have Done and that is mostly down to how much Lizzie Borden made my teeth hurt. Spending this much time in her head drove me up the wall and I cannot remember the last time I was so relieved when a book ended.
3. NOPE Series: A series that turned out to be one huge pile of NOPE after you’ve invested all of that time and energy on it, or a series you gave up on because it wasn’t worth it anymore.
I am in general not that great at finishing series, but I think i rage quit Cassandra Clare’s The Mortal Instruments after the third book. Everything about these books screams potential, but nothing really worked for me. Also, I will never ever get over the ick-factor of the red herring (you know the one).
4. NOPE Popular pairing: A ship you don’t support.
This is actually a question I don’t often think about as shipping isn’t part of my normal reading routine (except in Ilona Andrews’ books, obviously). But I think I will go with Alina and the Darkling. Don’t get me wrong, I hate Mal even more and think Alina should have ended up with anybody but him, but there is something I cannot deal with about pairings where one of the two is genuinely evil.
5. NOPE. Plot twist: A plot twist you didn’t see coming or didn’t like.
I cannot for the life of me, think of any. At least not in books.
6. NOPE. Protagonist action/decision: A character decision that made you shake your head NOPE.
Not so much one decision but everything this character did: the main character from The Last One. She is participating in a reality TV series about surviving in the wild, when the world as we know it ends. And she will not face the fact that she not part of the TV series any more, going so far as to treating a young boy horribly because she thinks he is a camera man. It made no sense and made me want to throw her.
7. NOPE. Genre: A genre you will never read.
There is not a single genre I would categorically not read. I do read pretty widely to begin with and even if I might not enjoy a genre now, tastes change.
8. NOPE. Book format: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition.
I don’t particularly like mass market paperbacks but it would not stop me from buying a book if this was the only format available.
9. NOPE. Trope: A trope that makes you go NOPE.
I do not like books where the male love interest is significantly older than the female protagonist. 120-year-old vampires should not be dating 17-year-old women.
10. NOPE. Recommendation: A book recommendation that is constantly hyped and pushed at you that you simply refuse to read.
I cannot think of a book like that at all.
11. NOPE. Cliche/pet peeve: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.
I hate it when characters gulp. I am not sure whether this is because I am not a native speaker and the action of gulping is different from what my mind conjures when reading this word or whether gulping really is as loud as I think it is, but whatever the case, i takes me right out the book. And believe me, some characters gulped all the fricking time.
12. NOPE. Love interest: The love interest that’s not worthy of being one. A character you don’t think should have been a viable love interest.
Mal. I did not dislike the Grisha trilogy in the slightest but I am still so salty Alina ended up with him. He is THE worst.
13. NOPE. Book: A book that shouldn’t have existed that made you say NOPE.
I cannot think of a single book I hate this much. (all the ones that come to mind are books I have not read that made the world a worse place, like My Struggle (Hitler not Knausgaard).)
14. NOPE. Villain: A scary villain/antagonist you would hate to cross and would make you run in the opposite direction.
All of them? Who wants to meet a villain in real life?
15. NOPE. Death: A character death that still haunts you.
16. NOPE. Author: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit.
Stephen King. I tried, I really did, because my partner likes his books and many many people seem to adore King but I am not one of those people. I have read Misery and Needful Things and Shining and they were all ok, I have tried reading the first in the Dark Tower series and hated it, I have recently given up on the audiobook of It after spending 20 hours listening to it. I just cannot deal with the focus on sexualized violence and the gleeful way it is described.