I had such a great reading month! I read 8 books and enjoyed them all. I also rated three of those books five stars, which hardly ever happens.
Books read in October:
- City of Miracles (The Divine Cities #3) – Robert Jackson Bennet: 5 out of 5 stars
- The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #3) – Rick Riordan: 3 out of 5 stars
- The Underground Railroad – Colson Whitehead: 4 out of 5 stars
- may we shed these human bodies – Amber Sparks: 4 out of 5 stars
- The Chronology of Water – Lidia Yuknavitch: 5 out of 5 stars
- Everything Here Is Beautiful – Mira T. Lee: 4 out of 5 stars
- Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) – Jeff VanderMeer: 5 out of 5 stars
- The Mistfit’s Manifesto – Lidia Yuknavitch: 3 out of 5 stars
Favourite of the Month:
The Chronology of Water, hands down. This is my favourite of the year so far and I cannot imagine a book taking that title away from this brilliant, mesmerizing memoir that challenged how I thought about the genre. I cannot recommend it enough. I have two of Lidia Yuknavitch’ novels left to read and I will have to pace myself. She has also written two short story collections that I have so far been unable to find; but I will keep on looking.
Again, too many books to list. At the moment I am taking a break from requesting NetGalley books in the hopes of finally getting to all the books I have already on my shelf (both virtual and real) and haven’t read yet. I also had a look at ratings I gave NetGalley books and while I found some brilliant books, I also read a lot of books that I wouldn’t have finished otherwise (and wouldn’t have missed) and there are some books that I have kind of DNFed but not officially (I am thinking of just doing one “shame on me” post and talking about the unfinished NetGalley books there…). I have given myself the permission to read the arcs that interest me the most in any given moment (even if they won’t be published for months) because that just works better with how my reading moods are. And then when I have finished all those arcs I will only request from a few select publishers and only books I absolutely 100% want to read NOW.
What I want to read next:
I am planning on getting to the books in my 5 star prediction post sooner rather than later because I kind of cannot wait to see how accurate my predictions were. I also want to get to the next book in Jeff VanderMeers Southern Reach trilogy because I have not quite given up hope to find some answers.